I gave my first sermon when I was 21 years old, to a group of fifth graders at a summer camp. I felt all the feelings – anxiety laced with excitement — the result was an explosion of words and passion and God and smelly kids and beginnings.
That was twenty-four years ago, and I am still at it.
I speak a lot at Genesis Covenant Church in St. Louis Park, Minnesota (you can find my sermons here). I also publish a weekly podcast called This Good Word. I’d love to hear your idea for how we might partner together with your tribe. Below are some things for you to know as you consider bringing me in to speak with your community.
I’ve given messages to thousands at a time as well as small groups. When in smaller groups, one of my favorite things to do is to lead Socratic scripture studies, where I act as a sort of river rafting guide, showing the beauty and tragedy of the narrative found in the Scriptures, while letting the discussion shape the destination. The following is a breakdown of the kinds of events I’m excited about doing. We can discuss fees for each of these kinds of events after you get in touch with me using the contact form below.
- Skype Sessions. We can talk writing, preaching, stuttering, podcasting, whatever.
- Weekend Preaching in Churches. I love meeting different faith communities; I have preached to Episcopalians as well as Baptists.
- Workshops. I’ve been a pastor for 20 years; I can talk leadership, writing, sermonizing, theology, culture, or a cocktail of all of the above.
- Keynote speeches. If you are raising money for a nonprofit I can get behind, I’d love to consider inspiring people to get on board with the good you’re trying to spread in the world.
- Retreats. Though I have to be honest, I’m not a great candidate for teenagers anymore.
- Adventure Trips. You find the guide & pick the setting (mountains, rivers, water), I’ll bring some great teaching and discussion, words, and exploration of God.